Thursday, March 07, 2024

The Balaam Negotiation Method 101

And Balaam replied to the servants of Balak, “Though Balak were to give me his house full of silver and gold, I could not do anything, either small or great, to trespass the command of Yahweh my God.   Numbers 22:18

It seems noble on the surface. However, we recognize from other deals made in the scriptures that Balaam has begun a negotiation to determine at what price the prophet will indeed sell out to trespass the command of God! The king was supposed to reply by his servants something like: I know that Balaam would never accept such a great amount of loot from me, but perhaps he would trespass the command of Yahweh for this chest of gold. We don't do it that way now, but if we are not careful one might find us gazing at a new car across the street and thinking of a statement not too far from Balaam's, all the while singing a song about grace. I use this example because... well, yeah, that happened to me this morning. The Spirit showed to me the incongruity of thinking greed while singing grace. And there, my beloved, is the environment of the waiting season we have until our Lord returns. The flesh greedily wants while the spirit sings of grace! Now faith tells us that God's grace will see us through this fight, and one day there will be no more of that greed!

Whew! Praise God for that!

Bucky

No comments: