Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Justify Myself

If I justify myself, mine own mouth shall condemn me: if I say, I am perfect, it shall also prove me perverse.  Job 9:20

Today, this very morning, I am going to justify myself to you. Oh, oh, oh, what a forlorn hope that would be! Job in our verse for today compares justifying oneself to others to stating that one such as even righteous Job is perfect. Perfection in regard to myself bears a humor that even one as slow as I am cannot fail to see. Simply mentioning perfection and me in the same sentence causes my written voice to become a bit on the odd side. What do Job and I mean to say? Yeah, justification and perfection by our own efforts just ain't gonna happen. This does not mean that we cannot strive to obey the law, or to improve in morality, or to become more like Jesus. What it means is that we come to know that the larger part by far of the work of reconstruction in the heart of each of us belongs to the Lord Himself. I can put on a t-shirt that states: Christian - Under Construction. But, the Lord God began His work in me before I repented and came to Him for salvation, since, well, that was His work too! 

Rejoice in the Lord today!

Bucky

No comments: