Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Grandma's Influence

When I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also. 2 Timothy 1:5

Wow, it's a little chilly this morning for about mid-April! We have enjoyed a long run of grandma's influence in our culture. Most of us can recall at least one grandmother who was there for some years during our youth and even into adulthood. In the Bible we have grandmother mentioned just twice, and the other one back in 1 Kings 15 is not so nice. Grandmothers, it would seem, improved with time and the saving grace of our Lord Jesus. And it continues on to us today.

If your family had faith, there does appear to be a likelihood that you also will grow up in the faith or, at least in many cases, return to the faith. I have known several who were raised in the church, but then took a wander away for a time to see the world. I took such a journey and it will not surprise you that those were the years in which I thought myself smartest, but wasn't, and thought myself goodest, but did some of the worst things that I regret. Indeed I proved well in experience that to move further from God in my heart is to move closer to that adversary in behavior, hopelessness, futility, vanity, selfishness, and of course, pride. Grandma, as we well know, would not have had it that way and neither would her Lord and mine, Jesus!

Have a great day with our Lord Jesus, and if Grandma is still around, give her a call!

Bucky

No comments: