Monday, December 06, 2021

Director Of Music

The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to tread on the heights.

For the director of music. On my stringed instruments.  Habakkuk 3:19

Preacher and prophet are mentioned in the Bible at least a couple of times as jobs we might have in our service to the Lord, but director of music occurs 54 times too. All of these are in the Psalms plus a 55th in little Habakkuk. No one, that I can recall in my lifetime, has asked me to be their director of music. Other than that I have no music education or experience beyond high school, and even that involved no practice on my part, I just cannot understand why they would leave me out. Hmm, yes, there might be that little problem with Christmas music. While even the grinchiest might allow one Christmas carol into the church program about this time of the year, I on the other hand feel that even a moderately cool day in August is cause enough to bring out the Christmas tunes. And I have done this many times! So, for those of us excluded from high position over our affection for Christmas music, we say with the prophet:

The Sovereign Lord is my strength!

If ever I had cause to doubt scripture comes the next bit: That would be one clumsy deer and I'm terrified of heights. Of course much of scripture requires faith of us and speaks to a time yet to come. One day, we will leap on the heights together as surefooted as the deer... and sing our Christmas carols to the Lord! 

Merry Christmas!

Bucky

No comments: