Thursday, December 19, 2019

Merry Christmas and Division

Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather division.  Luke 12:51

Watching the news lately it should come as no surprise that our president was impeached yesterday in what was not quite a party-line vote. (The not quite is perhaps not in the way one might think either.) Of course, this is only a symptom of our deep divisions in the electorate and in Congress. It is interesting to note that our Lord came to make this happen. 

Division, even to members of a family (see vv. 52-53), came from Christ. But did He not give us the new command to love one another? Yes, that too. It boggles the little mind of me! Do we now say, "Merry Christmas, I'm divided against you?" The way I see it: Jesus my Lord brought division, but I am commanded to love. Therefore, I will let Him take care of the dividing, and I will work on the love in Christ. It does seem quite strange and a conundrum to me, but I seem to recall that I was born with a fallen heart and mind. If it seems strange to me, then just maybe with faith in the Lord I will one day understand His great plan. 

So, Merry Christmas and I love you!

Bucky

No comments: