Thursday, February 14, 2019

If I Had Not Love

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:2

Love notes of many sorts will be traded this day, I wonder if any of them will recall the words of Paul as he told of love in his letter to the First Corinthians? Wait, it was his first letter to the church at Corinth, not some group of folks who founded the city. Ha, I'll bet in all of that 13th chapter of Corinthians you will not find that love insists on perfect correctness or accuracy in all things. Instead you will find a love that suffers long and bears all things.

Of course we must strive to be understood by all. It would be a bit harder to spread the good news if we misspelled our Lord's name all the time. Referencing Bible verses that do not exist in the copies of the Bible people have at home, such as 2 Philippians 25:3 or 5 John 2:2, might put an obstacle in the way of the diligent scripture student. All of this is covered under loving one another. Love helps us to correct one another gently and with courtesy. That goes both ways too. If you must blurt out, "There ain't no fifth John, ya moron!" I'll understand and strive to bear all things in love. If I had not love, then them's fightin' words and we'd have to go watch a few episodes of Yosemite Sam. (Well it's better than whacking each other with sticks.)

God's love to you on this Valentine's Day 2019 (I know, sometimes there's an apostrophe and sometimes there ain't.)

Bucky

No comments: