Wednesday, February 06, 2019

A Little Blame

LORD, you coerced me into being a prophet, and I allowed you to do it. You overcame my resistance and prevailed over me. Now I have become a constant laughingstock. Everyone ridicules me. Jeremiah 20:7 NET

We would never dare, we think, to fire off a little blame at the Lord. Yet, Jeremiah did, and so did David. Moses got angry and Elijah ran like a scared chicken. Reserving our emotions from the Lord has been a habit of late, but it was not always so.

King David in his many psalms was one of the best at bringing his emotions to the Lord. He did not hide them as we may try in this age, and through the outpouring of that emotion he received healing from the Lord. Jeremiah was quite despondent and angry with the Lord in our verse for today. Later the prophet states: O LORD who rules over all, you test and prove the righteous. (v12). Ah, there it is. There is always a purpose behind what we suffer.

When I am despondent in the test or angry with the Lord for what seems a lack of action on His part, it is then that I can almost hear, "Aha, it's working at last. Now My little one will bring his emotion to Me in prayer!"

Of course the emotion or feeling I should bring most often is the one we consider the least manly of them all, "I'm scared, Lord!"

Bucky

No comments: