Saturday, August 18, 2018

Is It Not Possible?

“Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it. For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect." Matthew 24:23-24

There has been many false christs and false prophets even in our time, but not the signs and wonders spoken of by our Lord, at least not that I have yet seen. I say that because these signs and wonders are going to be impressive by the Lord's description of them as 'great'. We will not fail to miss them, just fail to believe in them. When our Lord says, "if possible," I get the sense that this deception is not going to happen to the elect. Why?

I have in my time fallen for a great many deceptions. Some were harmless but not beneficial, and fell into the dead weight category. While others were very harmful and required a running away or shunning of them. And in some cases I looked the fool (and was foolish too), and occasionally I must confess to having been there and done that. We all learn the hard way sometimes and I am no exception to that. So, how could it not be possible for a believer such as myself to fall for these great deceptions?

Of course we know the answer to that! First, it isn't me or you that is not deceived. Second, it is the Lord's precious Holy Spirit in us that keeps the elect from these impressive deceptions. It is that "Whoa!" deep inside the soul that prevents us when the flesh yearns to go. It is the turning of the eyes by the Spirit that shows us something the worldly ones cannot or will not see. It may even be the Spirit of the Lord that causes our feet to stumble and fall when the flesh has gone toward the deception too fast and is about to get us into trouble. The sheep may act dumb at times, but we have a divine Protector who will keep us safe.

Thank You, dear Lord, for Your Comforter sent to live in us,

Bucky

No comments: