Friday, April 27, 2018

What is Poor? Which is Rich?

The LORD makes poor and makes rich;
He brings low and lifts up. 1 Samuel 2:7

Some would claim that it is hard work that makes a person rich. That is a way to take credit for what appears good to us. If I am rich, then I must have worked hard and deserved this condition of wealth. Look how good I am! Poor on the other hand generally happens to someone. No one claims to be deserving of poverty due to his lack of effort, it just sort of happened. A different form of attention is desired here, one in which guilt and shame are not heaped on the victim. Look at me, this isn't my fault, pity me and give me another opportunity to become rich like you. Yet, what is poor? Which is rich?

If I could write a check this morning and purchase the Union Pacific Railroad, assuming the check did not immediately cause an unseemly mirth and choking fits of laughter such to render everyone helpless, I could be considered rich. In a realm closer to reality, I had a tasty breakfast this morning with bacon, fried eggs, toast with peanut butter, and coffee. I feel quite rich right now and I am grateful to God for His provision. So which is rich? Given that any check written by me with enough zeros behind a number to cause a large public company to pay attention would only cause hilarity at the bank just before they had me arrested, am I then to be considered poor? Perhaps not, but if I should have no food to eat or money to purchase any food tomorrow, would I be poor then? If our entire judgment of rich and poor is based on what we are able to do or not do, is this not a relative measure? So, what is poor and which is rich?

Am I lost in an argument that I can never solve?

Hannah prayed the prayer from which our verse for today comes. She prayed it way back before 1,000 BC, or something like 3,000 years ago. They had rich and poor then, and we have rich and poor now. This morning, I am not going to solve any problems we think we have between rich and poor with just a little writing on my own. God, on the other hand, must have a purpose and a plan going on, for He could solve any rich/poor thing right away and right quick. Whatever might be thought a problem on my part may in fact be on the Lord's training plan for me on this day. To be suddenly made from rich to poor or back the other way might delay my journey home from here in Prodigal Land, and I don't want that!

For the call has gone out for all of the prodigal sons of Adam and daughters of Eve to return to the Father, and it is toward home we must turn. Let us follow our Lord Jesus home from this day until our journey is completed.

Bucky

No comments: