Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Struggle, Struggle - March 9, 2011

Good Wednesday morning! Not as cold as expected last night; we'll take it. One sign of spring has arrived; the long-hair is starting to mat up. No, I got a hair cut a couple of weeks ago; why do you ask? I think she will lose about a quarter of her body weight in fur over the next few weeks. Spring is coming! Speaking of that, are you prepared for yet another time change? Yes, this weekend is the next dreaded event in our government's effort to muck up our lives. No need for me to go into my stance on this matter! March is well underway, which begs the question: will this be the final snowstorm, or do we have another to look forward to? All of this sounds a lot like worrying about tomorrow. I guess we can just see what happens today. The sky is clear at the moment, we should see the sun shining soon. Praise God for the sunrise!

In fact, I believe that I would see the sunrise by now if my neighbor's house wasn't in the way. Grab a big saw and take that puppy down! So, lemme get this straight; I want to see the sunrise earlier, so my neighbors must lose their shelter on a cold morning? Not good, and certainly not in keeping with loving my neighbor as myself. We can find a lot of humor in our wants at times. How many times have you found yourself wanting something that would most likely drive your family into bankruptcy? Someone coined the saying that a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into. If you own a boat, you probably know exactly what the saying means. The same thing could be said about cars, trucks, most collections of collectibles, and even our homes. With so many money holes in our lives, it's no wonder that money isn't around when we need it. What's really funny is when your retirement funds act the same way, as we saw happen in 2008.

Okay, maybe you will have to laugh through the tears on that one, especially if you were one of those hoping to retire when the big recession came. I remember that my 401k plan had shrunk to less than half of its top value in less than a year, and all the time I kept putting more money into it! Of course the experts say that is what you are supposed to do. Sometimes the advice of the experts seems to make no sense at all. What about advice from God's Word, or advice directly from the Holy Spirit? Do you sometimes feel completely in the wrong when you look at what the world is doing? I feel that a lot. The wisdom of the Spirit often seems to make no sense to my worldly trained intellect. Perfect! The Bible says that will happen. Jesus even took the time to thank God that the good news had been hidden from the wise men of the world and made plain to the simple.

If the complexity of this world we live in today makes you feel pretty simple, praise God for His Good News!

Although life may seem difficult now, we have much to be thankful for. In some ways the world might think me a fool. I can praise God if following His instructions makes me foolish in the world's eye. On the other hand if I really am a fool, then I'll trust in God to deliver me from that too. Thank God that His saving grace does not depend on smart or talented each of us may be in our own strength.

Have a great day in Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: