Thursday, March 03, 2011

God's Patience, part 1 - March 3, 2011

Good Thursday morning! We have an interesting sky this morning, and just maybe some rain on the way. Yesterday, the verse about the roaring lion had been in my ear a lot. Today, 2 Peter 3:9 has at least twice been brought to my attention.

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. (ESV)

We have read together verses about our own patience, but this one brings up God's patience. We studied this last night in our Men's Bible study, and Dr. Charles Stanley featured the same verse on his radio broadcast last night on MyBridge. When a particular verse keeps coming up like that, I like to pay attention. I'm going to lay out a guess here, but I'll guess that not all of us surrendered to Jesus right at the age of discernment, usually somewhere between the ages of 7 to 13 for most of us. In fact, I can tell you that I didn't, so it isn't too much of a guess. Therefore, at least in my case, God had patience with me while I walked around in sin. I can even point out times where God watched over me even when my path in life was all about me and my will. If you could go back with me, we could attend sermons where the pastors of my youth spoke on that ol' fire and brimstone that frighten us so much. Yet, at the time it didn't frighten me to commitment. Those were the times when the seeds fell on thin soil.

God not only has shown his patience with each of us, but he also has patience with the world in general. Not one of us would have to walk very far to find someone who has not repented and surrendered to Jesus. With a few more steps, we might even find someone who is not only unsaved but an outright enemy of Jesus. Perhaps a person has even gone so far as to sign a contract with Satan in her own blood, as in the story of a young lady I read recently. God was patient with Saul when he zealously sought to destroy the early church, and then sent His Son on a special trip to turn Saul into Paul the Apostle. Paul called himself the worst of sinners, and God still had patience with him.

I would not contest the wisdom of Saint Paul in his taking first place among sinners, but if anyone tries to claim the second spot I might say, "Hold on a moment there!" Why would I try this? Because God sent many sermons from many minsters before I saw the light. Not only that, but I cannot remember a time when I didn't have a Bible of my own. Certainly I was worse than those who have never heard the Good News of Jesus Christ! Does that make me stand alone as the second worst of sinners? No, I think that many of you could make the same claim. We all stand just behind St. Paul as the second worst. Of course, God may have his own standard and opinion on who is worst and second worst among sinners. Praise God that He sent the cure to this dreadful disease!

God sent Jesus to heal the world of sin, but more than that: Jesus paid the price for the sin committed against God from sin day number one in Eden until the last day before the final judgment. After Jesus paid the price and rose again. God started patiently waiting for sinners to come to Jesus. About 2,000 years later, God is still patiently waiting for every last sinner who will be saved. The world is still here because God has not run out of patience. God is patient with our stumbles, and patient with those who are still fallen. The world has a lot of experts on this and that; people who are confident in their own knowledge and wisdom. However, the only reason they can continue spouting off is that God is not finished gathering his sheep to himself. One day, even the great and mighty patience of God will run out. Don't wait!

Have a wonderful day in Christ Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: