Monday, November 22, 2010

Another Funeral, Another Day - November 22, 2010

Good Monday morning! I'm back; the hunting season is over, and I still didn't see a single deer. That is all unimportant though in light of what we must face today. Last week we had the shock, the sorrow, the wondering and questioning, the discussions, and then perhaps some anger and seeking someone or something to blame. Just as all of that starts to fade a tiny bit, we have the funeral. Usually this is the point where we mourn and start to get over it. The grieving process may be a difficult road in this case. Many of you must return to the very place you saw Neil every day of your working life. You cannot drive into work to forget for a while when work is what reminds you of the person. Of course, this doesn't begin to touch what Neil's wife and children will be going through.

Mike Spaeth's funeral was held without me as my condition and location at the time made it quite impossible for me to attend. It only took me eleven years and some odd months before I could attend a funeral, and you might recall that happened just a couple of months ago. At Tanya's funeral, I ended up standing out in the foyer of the funeral home. Too many people, especially if sitting or standing behind me, and I get very uncomfortable. If I happen to be the one standing outside in the foyer or even outside the church this morning just let it be. The sun is shining today after two days of ice fog; it's not always bad to be standing outside just a little.

But, today is not about me; it is about all of us who knew Neil as a co-worker, friend, family member, or manager. We each have memories of the man from our first contact with him to what for some of you was the very day that he died. I never did get around to borrowing some history books from Neil; he offered that service way back when we first moved in to the new corporate headquarters building. At the time I didn't know that I would be writing historical fiction; we simply connected on the interest we both had in U.S. history. Neil apparently had an extensive library and counted it as one of his passions. I'm glad that he enjoyed his hobby. Perhaps we should all take a little time to enjoy some reading or other hobby in memory of Neil. As we are reminded once more, a life on this earth can end at any moment and we need to enjoy every one as given by God.

If anyone needs to talk or pray, I have the time for you.

Bucky

No comments: