Wednesday, November 24, 2010

After the Funeral - November 23, 2010

Good Tuesday morning! You might be wondering if I made it through the memorial service yesterday, and there is good news on that. I did in fact make it through in almost the back row with people all around me. Of course, it helped that I knew about 90% of the people there and that I was in familiar surroundings. Only one problem came up: How does one solve the conflict between the joy of seeing so many friends that I have not seen for two years and the sadness of the occasion? I had a thought that perhaps I should have joined the line to greet everyone from my days at the Big C. However, the event was not about me; it was to remember Neil. The service was well done and we learned some comforting things, in particular the fact that Neil had given his life to Jesus at a summer camp during his junior high years. That alone made the memorial service much easier for all of us I think.

We'll get back to the verses in John in time. The events of the past few days are important to talk/write about for us as we seek to live out our faith in Jesus. I may be off on this, but does it seem like we were just talking about a suicide not very long ago? We had the same questions then I'm sure. What drove him to make this the last act of the earthly life given by God? What fueled the despair that finally overtook Neil? Could the same set of circumstances cause the same reaction in me or you? Yes, there is always that bit of self-interest that wants to raise its head. Of course, the answer to that last question is: "yes, it could happen to me or you!" If we lean on our own understanding or trust in our own abilities each of us may fall to the same or similar circumstances that overtook Neil. We must learn to trust in Christ!

All of us will experience pain and loss in this life. Some will choose to believe in themselves, perhaps even shrugging it off with a casual, "glad it wasn't me!" and a flick of the hand. Jesus calls us to humble ourselves and I believe that we must realize that not one of us is any better than those who choose to take their own lives. We can fall to the despair if we don't believe in Jesus and accept his gift of peace and joy. You and I do not have the tools on our own to get through this life. But, how do those who refuse to believe in Jesus get through life? Jesus told us the answer to this one: the way to destruction is broad and easy. So easy that anyone who refuses Christ will be on that broad way without even trying to get there. Now I'm stuck. The writing was going so well too.

Maybe a change of direction, eh? The memorial service is in the past, but we have memories in our hearts that will last much longer. Each day is a new day full of hope that Jesus will come on this very day! We don't go on to our jobs, homes, trips to visit relatives, and other activities without hope in Christ for his great return. Last week at our prayer meeting on Thursday, I noticed that, at least with me, I could not easily shift my emotions from prayers of sorrow and need to prayers of gratitude and thanksgiving. Emotions just don't turn on and off as quickly as I want to. Today, you probably won't get up and forget the sorrow of yesterday, but you can get up and look to Jesus to lift you in his love. Even during the service Pastor Doug gave a message of hope and comfort. Today, we can look to the source of such messages: Jesus!

Have a great new day of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ,

Bucky

No comments: