Saturday, February 27, 2010

A Lifelong Project - February 27, 2010

Good Saturday morning! A new method this morning, I'll try to compose the devotional on the blog and copy it to the e-mail. The taxes still lurk on my desk; I'm already late (for me) this year and need to get on with it. Have you put off a project, afraid to start because it's too big for you? We all have ways of dealing with the big project. Some of us put it off, others dive in, but either method requires starting and enduring the long hours of labor. Hmmm, almost sounds like I'm speaking of something else there...

There is a lifetime project that all of us face - that of salvation. We aren't finished when we accept Jesus as Lord. The work of our salvation only begins at that point. So do we need to join a salvation work out group, hire a save coach, and start this big project? No and no, the work of salvation is done both for us and to us. We don't know how to save ourselves and we don't know what is best for us in regard to timing and the relationship with Jesus.

This isn't to say that He doesn't give us work to do. We have God's word to study, groups to fellowship with, sermons to listen to and learn, songs to sing, tithes to give, and the Good News to spread in this life. God will manage the trials and turbulence as He purifies our faith in making us just right for His kingdom.

I have often thought how much easier it would be to get saved and then be called home by the Lord. We all entertain thoughts of avoiding some of the trials we face in this life. However, what might be easier for each of us, does not satisfy the Master. God will not allow any of us to come home to Him until we are perfected in His eyes. When I take that into account, I realize with some dismay that I might be here until I'm 350 years old! Of course, not only is God the perfectionist, but He is also more timely than that with each of His little projects that are you and me. We will be ordered home one day. Part of waiting for that great day is learning patience and endurance.

Wait patiently on the Lord, and know that He is working on the project that is your salvation and sanctification.

Bucky

No comments: