Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Footprints of Gracelessness - December 13, 2009

Good Sunday morning! You have probably seen the inspirational poem 'Footsteps' somewhere in your travels, but in case you haven't; the story is about two sets of footprints in the sand. The story teller looks back and sees his or her footprints and those of Jesus walking beside. However, the storyteller notices that at times there is only one set of prints and those times coincide with some of the worst times in his or her life. The question naturally comes up, "why did you leave me at those times, Lord?" Jesus as you may recall responds with the truth, "No, those are my footprints, those are the times that I carried you!" Yesterday, the footprints told a different story.

No, of course the Lord didn't leave me; the footprints were mine and my friend Gary's. In this case, we are out hunting in the hills. Gary sees a deer and takes off through the snow. His son, Dylan, and I follow his long stride as best we can with me bringing up the rear. Watch the footprints tell the story. The long, eager stride of Gary first, and the not quite as long stride of Dylan beside his. My shorter footprints follow Gary's... right into a hole that his footprints went over.

One of the prerequisites of leadership is the ability to charge in and miss the pitfalls that the rest of us fall into. Maybe that only works with earthly leaders. In Christ we find a leader who didn't miss or avoid the temptations and trials that we experience. Jesus did not choose to remain up in heaven, but came to earth and experienced much more in a shorter time frame than we will face in our lives. Our leader leads by example and pulls us out of those pitfalls with a few words of comfort. Every time I have found myself in a hole; Jesus has been there. His words are often the same, "Don't be afraid. I have been here, and I am here. It will be alright!"

The hole yesterday was no different; I was able to hobble after the charging hunters, who having seen their prey had quite failed to notice my graceless contortions in the snow behind them. The first question as I caught up with them betrayed their deep concern, "do you see all the deer down there in the trees?" Sometimes we get to charge into the breech, and sometimes we fall in the hole back yonder. Gary did get his deer yesterday, and I get to keep my Tylenol bottle close today. :-) No serious injury to me, proof enough that God was with me all the way!

A recovery day for me, but what is the most important lesson? Don't reinforce the trauma by thinking on it too much! This might go for others too this fine morning. Don't go over the event in your mind too many times. Read the Word of God, distract yourself from the pain. Of course, I will tell the story to friends and loved ones a few times. The problems only come when that tape reel of the event starts going in my mind over and over and over... Don't do that self! Keep your eyes on Jesus! Sometimes that dreadful recall likes to add in the worst possibilities. Stop! Halt! Don't let it go there. Trust in the strength and healing that comes from Christ alone!

Go with God this fine Sunday morning, and have a merry Christmas!

Bucky

No comments: