Sunday, November 08, 2009

Jesus is Right on Time! - November 8, 2009

Good Sunday morning! How is your rush-rush this morning? Does it seem a little more distant than the weekdays? Some of us like a routine in the morning, some like variety, some like to get up at the last possible moment and rush from the first moment and throughout the day. The cats and I tend to go for the slow starting routine, as long as the first part of that routine includes feeding the cats at least. In whatever manner you choose to start the day, prayer should be a part of that start-up procedure. Your prayer might be for strength to make it through the day, or as simple as a "Good morning, Lord!" We need to start-up the communication with our Father in Heaven at the start of each day.

I like to make coffee jokes about the start of my day; for some of you, coffee at the start of the day is no joke, but a dire necessity. My coffee remarks are only funny by the fact I drink decaf. My coffee might start my day, but it doesn't really start up anything at all. I just like the taste of coffee in the morning...a taste that I doctor up with cream and sugar. So, not only do I drink coffee without the caffeine, but I mask the taste with dissolved substances. When I make a comment about using coffee to get up in the morning, you might wonder if pouring the stuff over my head might not work faster. This is true, that alternate method would get me going, if painfully, in a rapid and excited manner. I think I'll just go with my slow method! :-)

Your normal speed control may be set to fast or slow, but Jesus loves you! When looking at our own self, we often note many imperfections. We may pause to wonder how we will ever make it. Of course, if we look only at our own strength and weakness, we come up short of what is required. Those who tally up their own might and think, "I've got it made!" will never see their need for Jesus. Praise God that I have weaknesses and that my strength seems far short of what is needed. Realizing my need for Jesus, I can come to him with a humble heart. Do you want to be strong? Trust in Jesus. Do you have trouble keeping up with the rat race? Trust in Jesus. Your strength will become like Jesus' own strength, your speed will be just right.

Do you recall Jesus rushing about Galilee, trying to get everything done in time? Of course not, Jesus often waited, saying "My time has not yet come." One time he waited only a few seconds, as in the wedding at Cana. Another time, when waiting for Lazarus to die, he waited for two days to begin his journey. If it seems as though you are always two days behind, it could be that you're not operating on Jesus time. If your tardiness is due to procrastination or bad habits, you may need to ask for strength to change that. But if you are doing all you can and still can't seem to catch up, you may need to grasp the peace that Jesus offers. We may find ourselves striving for too much. Usually this too much is too much of the things of this world. We strive to earn more to buy more when Jesus tells us to be content.

This may seem a bit counterproductive at a time when the Christmas shopping season is just around the corner. However, when did Christmas become all about shopping? No one is saying that you cannot buy gifts and send out cards. Just don't make that the number one reason for Christmas! The corporate world may just have to come to terms with the fact that we love Jesus first.

Some mornings the devotional message comes to me like a bolt of lightning. Other days are more like today, where I hop around a bit and struggle to write something that makes sense. Just like the singer who produces a joyful, but rough, note, we don't write, sing, or speak for ourselves, but for the glory of God! May God bless and keep you on this fine Sunday morning!

Bucky

No comments: