Friday, December 17, 2010

I Don't Recall That Anymore... - December 17, 2010

Good Friday morning, and Merry Christmas too! Two nights of late bedtimes and I am feeling the effects.... of course that isn't the only reason. The cold season low-grade bug seems to have a hold on me too. I think it comes from not getting enough sunshine at this time of the year, or at least that's my theory for this year. Like most trials, the winter season funk usually gets me back to doing the things that I should do all the year long: taking vitamins, mixing some veggies into the diet, and praying. Not just a quick, "Get me through this please, Lord." but the real prayers where we pour out our hearts and hurts to God, listen for His voice, and apply His comfort to our lives. Christmas is a good time to recall who was born those many years ago, but it's a better time to come to Jesus in prayer in the right here and right now.

Many interesting Christmas facts came across the television screen last night as the music played. Imagine the reactions you would get by hanging your Christmas tree upside down. Some might even accuse you of heresy or worse, but that is what the folks did back in the 15th Century, if I recall that fact correctly. After years of growing up with right side up Christmas trees, I would see something profoundly wrong in one hung from the ceiling. However, it would keep the cats out of the decorations! Don't expect to see an upside-down tree in my house anytime soon though, it just doesn't seem right to me. The early Santa Clauses came with a little devil-like character who presumably met with the naughty folks. Like the worldly view of a heaven with no hell, the devil character was dropped at some point in the past. I don't like to think of eternal punishment for anyone, but neither can I deny what is in God's word. What else did we learn last night? Santa characters were drawn as little elfin-like critters until the 1930's or so when they became human-sized. It might have happened earlier than that, so much Christmas trivia rolled across the screen that I might be getting some of it mixed up.

Yes, somewhere in the past I also lost my perfect recall; I wish I could remember when that was! Actually, my memory recall has never been perfect, but sometimes I like to forget that and try to recall everything about everything. I guess that's why I enjoy books so much; they never forget what is written in them.

Have a great Christmas this year!

Bucky

No comments: