Monday, June 15, 2009

Snakes n' Work - June 15, 2009

Good Monday morning! What a weekend, eh? We had sports championships, races, Gold Rush days, storm warnings, Flag Day, and a big uproar over the election in Iran. My weekend added getting better from a week of funk, a picnic, washing and waxing the truck, cleaning the garage, watching some CWS games, shooting, and a rattlesnake! Yup, for the first time, I actually had an encounter with a rattlesnake out in the prairie grass. The snake did not survive.

No, I didn't shoot an innocent rattlesnake. I found out that my friend Gary gets what might be described as "just a little nuts" when it comes to rattlesnakes near his home. "Near" meaning within 4 or 5 miles of his home or thereabouts. He keeps a loaded stick in his truck nicknamed "The Judge" for dealing with the offending serpents. After my momentary confusion over "get me a stick!" while we stood in the middle of the treeless plains, I even fetched it for him while he encouraged the reptile not to run off. No one got bitten despite engaging in the most common cause of rattlesnake bites; that being known as "messing with rattlesnakes."

So, how was your weekend? :-) After all that excitement, I think I can sit down and do some serious writing this week. I think this week is a good time to honor God by doing a good job at my job. You can do this too! Not all of us will be called to go on missions to foreign lands or stand in front of a congregation on Sunday morning. If we stop to think about it, God has a lot more folks out in the congregation than he has in the pulpit. For every pastor or missionary brought to Christ, there will be many more folks like you and I; the ones going to work, or working from home in my case, who minister through working and living in Christ. Enjoy the day at work. Remember, you and I are working for Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: