Saturday, October 02, 2010

Who's in Charge Here? - October 2, 2010

Yoohoo! Still here on this Saturday morning! If I sound a little silly this morning, it's because I am. What's your point? My copy of the MacArthur Study Bible arrived yesterday in the English Standard Version. Of course, I had to check John 3:16 right away to make sure the words were still there, and they were. The ESV is a newer translation that is also more like the King James Version. Worth a try for those of you who like to collect Bible versions, like someone we know. I won't mention his name, but I can see at least four different Bible versions from where I sit. Woops, make that 5, correction 6, maybe I had better stop gawking around and just write the devotional.

It's October, does that mean we can talk about Christmas music yet? John MacArthur is going to talk about the true meaning of Christmas on MyBridge during November; I heard that last night. I think that means we can talk about Christmas music! Three new Christmas CD's arrived this week too. You can come listen with me if you like! Speaking of Christmas of course leads us to Christ. Is he just a part of Christmas or much more? John the Baptist will answer that one today.

The Father loves his Son and has put everything into his hands. John 3:35

Much more? According to John, Jesus is in charge of everything! Jesus saved you and me from our sins through his sacrifice on the cross; so I can't think of anyone better to be in charge. In the world, we often wonder aloud: "Who put that lunkhead in charge?" You may not use 'lunkhead', but I'll bet at some point in your life you have voiced a similar question. We are surrounded by imperfect leaders, and have probably even filled that bill ourselves at times. I know that at times I have been in charge of a small crew, a few Marines, or other groups, and never have I been the perfect leader. No doubt, someone at some point asked, "Who put that lunkhead in charge?" The one leader who is perfect and showed the perfect example, also is known by who put him in charge, God the Father. I like knowing that God put everything into the hands of the Son. When did that start?

Back in the day, I rebelled against most every form of authority. I am not unique in this, most every generation goes through the rebellious phase. We feel this from the sinful nature we gained through Adam's rebellion against God. At some point in our lives, after salvation and during our growth from Christian infant to Christian adult, we began to look at verses like this one and say, "Praise God!" Thank you, Lord, for the wonderful changes you have worked in us through your Holy Spirit!

Bucky

Aha! One of my 'versions' is a study Bible copy of the NKJV, and the ESV box is empty (I was reading it last night.) so only four versions are here in front of me. It's always fun to be right the first time and then screw it up with too much thinking on my part!

No comments: