Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A New Name in Christ - July 13, 2010

Good Tuesday morning! I just realized this morning that I don't know how I am going to make it through the end of the year, through the next year, to this place or that, or any other place or situation I need to make it to or through. That is correct and it's about time that I realized that. Instead of depressing me, the thought makes me realize that I am not on my own. God has promised to take care of each of us and Jesus told us not to worry over the daily things; yet we always try to go back and take the worry seat. How am I going to make it this year? Here is a little bit of wisdom to answer that question: I don't know.

That's right, we don't have the answers to all of our questions about the future. If you think that you are completely secure financially, in your profession, and in your family, maybe you are, but how are you going to make it to that wonderful eternal life in Heaven? How are you going to save yourself? I don't know how to save myself in this life; what ability or possession could help save me for the next? Nothing I am or have can save me. The plain fact is that in all things I am at the mercy of God. I gave my life to Jesus and He is now responsible for me. Want to eliminate the worry? Recall often that you and I are now God's responsibility. Does today's verse offer any help in this?

Then Andrew brought Simon to meet Jesus. Looking intently at Simon, Jesus said, "Your name is Simon, son of John - but you will be called Cephas" (which means "Peter"). John 1:42

Each of us have been brought to meet Jesus by someone. In some cases that someone may not even know they planted that meeting. Each time one of us comes to Jesus, I believe that our Lord treats that person in the same way that He treated Peter. Jesus looks intently at you, at me, at all of our brothers and sisters in Christ. He may give us a new name right away as he did with Simon Peter, or He may wait to give us a new name in Heaven, but Jesus sees you and me. You may not feel like it right now, but perhaps the new name Christ has given you means "Mighty Conqueror" or "Steadfast in Battle". Simon received a name that translates to 'rock'. What might your new name be? Whatever your name or my name might be, we are conquerors in Christ; we stand strong in this spiritual battle in Christ. When you come to believe in Jesus, you get one new name right away - you are called by His name, Christian or Christ-one.

Today, I came to realize once again my own weakness in many things. It's about time. Only by trusting fully in Christ alone, and not in my own strength or abilities, can I be free of the worries and despair that constantly attack us in this life. Jesus has looked intently at me and He is now reminding me to trust in Him for all of my needs in this life and in eternity.

Let's face the new day in Christ!

Bucky

1 comment:

Bucky said...

Zi Yi Zeng g Zhi Ke Yingke dgdd have said ...
You look forward to other people with their pain than their own pain. ....

I'm going to think on this one for a bit. Bucky