Friday, January 01, 2010

Great Hope for the Great New Year! - January 1, 2010

Happy New Year! I managed to celebrate the midnight passing of 2009 ...with the eastern time zone folks anyway. Yes, 10:00pm was late enough for me this past year. The morning looks just as bright and beautiful as it would had I stayed up 2 more hours. The moon was quite the light last night, eh? Are you ready for 2010? It's here!

This morning, I dribbled milk from my cereal on my belly, drank coffee that tastes much like it did yesterday, took the same ol' vitamin, and saw the same two cats. Nothing has changed ... or has it? This year I feel a great hope. I realize that we aren't to go on feelings, so I looked to God for confirmation of this hope. His response? "Have faith in me!" Our great hope is not based on a feeling, but it can bring to us a wonderful feeling of renewal and an eager anticipation of God's great works in us. I'm not saying that I plan to park in a chair and wait for golden ping-pong balls to shower my rotting carcass. Quite the opposite actually. I believe that God's grace is sufficient for each and every one of us in our weakness, and in our strength. At times it may seem as though our strength has not accomplished much in the past and will certainly be not enough for the future. That is so true, but God's strength is manifested and made glorious in our weakness; and like the few loaves and fishes beside the Sea of Galilee, we will see great things accomplished through our small effort in God's great cause.

Just think of it; you will accomplish great things in Christ this year! Things you can imagine and things you cannot. God likes to take our small effort and multiply it into great accomplishments. A few loaves and fishes fed thousands, a few letters to the early churches have blessed millions over the centuries, and four little gospels have led an uncounted multitude to Christ. Each of us brings a few little talents, a bit of time, and a small faithful effort to God each year; this small offering will be turned into a great work in God's holy kingdom! Trust Him for it!

Have a great new year in 2010; trust in God and live for Him!

Bucky

No comments: